Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Hitchhiking

Yesterday my brother and I were stuck up Big Cottonwood Canyon with frame packs and no ride, so we traveled by thumb. It only took about ten minutes before a little two-door Nissan pulled over and we squeezed in between three Mexicans. At the bottom of the canyon they let us off and we stuck out the thumbs again. As we walked up the hill, we noted how it always seems to be people with small old cars that are already full of people who pick up hitchhikers, and how this has been the case whenever either of us had done it. This of course conjured up reflections on possessions, humility, compassion, etc. I'm sure we both had some great insights.


Which we abandoned several minutes later when a man pulled over in his brand new four door pickup to let us in as he drove home to his estate behind La Caille.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never hitchhiked. Maybe that's because I am girl. I have never picked up a hitchhiker either. I just think of all the horror stories that go along with hitchhikers. Anyways, I'm glad this wasn't a horror story. Rather a lesson on life: People with nice cars and big houses can be nice too.

Anonymous said...

I have never hitchhiked too, but I come from a very tinny tiny little island where the more well-off people are very distinguished if they were to be in a crowd of people. It is always the ones that barely make enough of everything to support their families and other obligations that go out of their way to help other people. Don't get me wrong, there are really rich people out there that are very helpful. I guess I just come from a small island where my parents made barely enough to support our family but yet always went out of their way to help any family member, friend, or any other person in any way they possibly could and not neglect their responsibilities. It is a very good thing to help others with a willing heart. God bless all those who help us and in return let's all help one another. I think I really should try hitchhiking once. (Wadya think TR?? Good idea?!)

T.R. said...

You both should try it. Yes its a little risky but think about how many great stories could start with "so my friend and I were hitchhiking..."

Anonymous said...

I love ur website! it is so funny i just have to say that u have got to check out songstowearpantsto.com

first floor mondays said...

what do you say to all these wrist bands these days? one for every color of the rainbow. they even have some for some for mormons. what will they think of next? eh? perhaps one big wrist-band-thing that shouts "I SUPPORT EVERYTHING" and then people won't have to worry about buying more than one. because really, when you come to think of it, it gets pretty tricky trying to find out which color/cause combo is right for you. and we wouldn't want people to choose between several good causes now would we?

oh wait...

hitchhiking?

oh, nevermind then.

Anonmyous said...

I know - it's like you open a box of Grape Nuts - no grapes, no nuts, WHAT'S THE DEAL?!

oh wait...

wristbands?

oh, nevermind then.