Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Beverage Jam

American culture is great. Fireworks (thanks China!), the Great American Road Trip, the great outdoors, chili, and going to the movies ALL THE TIME are just what is springing to mind at the moment. Of course, we are missing a few things.

In some parts of Africa you can work out all your problems just by rounding up the whole village and everyone banging drums for a few hours. This makes sense of course. Hitting things always makes me feel better, even if I already feel good. And who doesn't like rocking out, even if you need the help of a chair specifically designed for that.

In my years spent in Scotlandd I learned that many believe the answers to life's big questions are at the bottom of a pint glass. Of course, nobody has found which pint glass exactly, so they are dilligently seraching as we speak. It is Wednesday, after all. But in their search they often find something else. There is something about talking to someone while you are eating or drinking that is theraputic. You can trust someone more if you are both sitting at the same table, putting the same thing into your bodies.

So I propose we search from both angles. This just may be the most ambitious social production since the Cake Dome Series, but I think we should try it anyway. For those of you familiar with Beverage Night, this is a total ripoff, but with an addition.

Beverage Jam
Thursday, 19 January 2006
8:49 pm
@ Le Maison du Rob
(about 1000 east and Princeton Avenue. Its the one without a railing)

You must bring:
1. A cup, mug, glass, or some sort of beverage-holding vessel.
2. An instrument or noisemaker, whether purchased or home made. If you don't know what to bring, here are some ideas:

Two spoons
Plastic Easter egg full of rice
Harmonica
Recorder
Sandpaper and wood blocks
Coffee can and wooden stick

As you may have surmised, we will be drinking (sorry, not alcohol) and attempting music. This is still experimental. Your patience is appreciated. I don't expect to find the meaning of life in one night, so this will likely occur several times more. And in case you haven't picked this up yet: You are invited.

10 comments:

Creativity Escapes Me said...

8:49 PM So exact.

T.R. said...

We aren't fooling around here.

Michelle 2021 said...

I have to work until 10. What kind of estimate can I get as for how long these festivities will last? 9:07ish?

Creativity Escapes Me said...

I'm going to be in Orem until at least midnight. I'd totally be there with bells on...well, with my guitar...and Christmas bells.

Randi said...

sorry i wont be able to make it. i will be in north dakota. but you best be using the recorder i gave you for your birthday.

jackie smaz said...

You can bet I'd be there if I wasn't possessed by the demons of the divcom. You know... practice demons. And I'd be there with a pair o' spoons, prepared to play them the wrong way, and my pet manatee, which, I mean really, what's with the no pets rule anyway? If I make the effort to pull him away from his beloved mangrove swamp, the least you can do is offer him a beverage.

Spencer said...

Can we do it Friday instead? It's looking like tonight is simply No Good (TM) for everyone (including yours truly), and I would immediately surmise that Friday would simply be lots better.

T.R. said...

Beverage Jam is definitely not about convenience.

I'm sorry everyone, but this is serious stuff. It's Beverage Jam, for heaven's sake, not your wedding. We can't just go rescheduling it.

I, for one, know better than to trifle with Beverage Jam. Seriously, I'd be better off trying to wedgie Mr.T.

Beverage Jam waits for nobody.

I just don't know if you guys are really understanding that this is Beverage Jam.

Creativity Escapes Me said...

It sounds like it would be a lot of fun. So let us know when the next beverage jam is maybe a week prior so we can make plans.

Kathleen said...

Yes, I for one would definitely LOVE to come to BEVERAGE JAM. Will there be another one in the near future?