Saturday, December 02, 2006

Treasure Hunting

Remember how you were always going to do this when you were a kid? What happened? You really dropped the ball on that, didn't you? That's terrible. And then off you go to tell young children to live their dreams, to set their minds to something and accomplish it? You hypocrite. Go hang your head in shame.

Alright, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that. Your desires and dreams have changed, haven't they. Of course, how stupid of me. Give us a hug? Yes, there, isn't that better? Yes I forgive you. Okay. Okay. Okay. Okay. Okay let go now please.

But wouldn't you still like to go hunt for treasure? (The correct answer is "yes please".) Then you should shop at Deseret Industries. Today I found two small canvas paintings, a red cardigan, and a cool ceramic mug (I like ceramic mugs). In the past, I have found a brass menorah, a violin, a Hohner melodica, lotsa pants, lotsa shirts, some shoes, a leather jacket (which increases my badass-ity by 40%!), a crockpot, and, wow, a ton of other stuff. Garage sales work too.

Or, if you prefer buried treasure that you dig up with a shovel, there's geocaching.

12 comments:

jeremy said...

I went geocaching on Thanksgiving with my brother, duckdodger. I heartily endorse this event and/or product. I was pleasently surprised that there are roughly 80 geocaches within a 10 mile radius of my zip code. I'll soon have a geocache of my own, so all ya'll will have to get a GPS and check out the stash. Muggles.

Anonymous said...

yes please.

eped said...

I think owning a crockpot knocks your badass-ity back down at least 40%

kel said...

what if you put your leather jacket on your crockpot and set it up with some lights for Christmas?




then what?

jackie smaz said...

and then what if you, you know, put a chicken and a biscuit on the crockpot decor. What then?

T.R. said...

Or what if I'm cooking, like, beef with barbed wire or something>

eped said...

hellyeah

Michelle 2021 said...

The real question is, what is Will Smith using for his chicken and biscuits? "Crock pot?? Oh no, you di'uhnt!!"

Anonymous said...

If you're ever in Miami and like treasure hunting, there's a huge warehouse right near the airport filled from floor to ceiling with... um... old stuff from ships.

We're talking furniture, art, lights, those carved sculptures of ladies they used to stick ot the pointy end of big old sailing ships, ex-military radar, things to catch fish fingers in, lifeboats, diving suits, harpoons... just about anything you can think of that might once have been used on a ship, or accidentally carried onto a ship in someone's pocket. The last time I was there, they even had a torpedo.

It's not just "boy" stuff either. There's mountains of bric-a-brac that would, in any other setting, be displayed in a glass case and labelled "collectables".

And I really do mean "stacked to the ceiling". You need a map to find your way out.

Some of it's old. Some of it's really old. Some of it's treasure if you know what you're looking for. The guys that run the place have no idea what's actually there.

Creativity Escapes Me said...

Is that picture from an album cover?

scone said...

i like this 'chicken and a buiscut' theme...


MORE!

Laverna said...

Thrift stores in general have got to be the coolest places ever.
Hey, and I like crockpots.