Monday, September 03, 2007

Called to ERV, ch. 2

Another week of the ERV, and this time I had big plans.

Thursday by the time I finally got everyone driven to where they needed to be, relayed all of the info to the office and got my camp site set up, it was dark. I ate a few spoonfuls of peanut butter and my banana for dinner.

Friday I spent the entire day repairing my wooden backpack, carving a new spoon (out of cow horn this time instead of juniper) and throwing my tomahawk. I also spent a good portion of the day as a naturist. I've decided it is a wholesome practice. That night I got a call on the radio from the Gnowees (one of our girls' groups) at midnight. They had hiked all evening and late into the night to their GPS waypoints but said there were no jugs of water left for them there. So I drove several jugs of water out to them. I found the water they had looked for in about two minutes, which means my journey was completely unnecessary. Nerds.

Saturday was almost entirely dedicated to tomahawk throwing, but I distracted myself by listening to the radio at the same time. Here's your basic Saturday lineup on KUER:

10 am: Car Talk
11 am: Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, the NPR news quiz show
12 pm: American Routes
1 pm: American Routes (more of it!)
2 pm: (boring) NPR news
3 pm: This American Life (listen to this; it's the best thing on the radio right now)
4 pm: (boring) something else
5 pm: A Prairie Home Companion
7 pm: The Thistle and Shamrock

That's right around the time I have talk on our CB and a satellite phone for an hour or so. Then time for bed

Sunday began another peaceful, solitary day of radio, reading, and time-consuming hobbies (this was the day I worked on my tamarisk bow). Until about 1 pm when disaster struck! Tune in next time to find out what in the world I'm talking about.

5 comments:

jeremy said...

Wow. That's just... wow. Cow horn spoon, tomahawk, naturist - it's almost too much to take in. It's more than I could wish for anyone. Unless you could be the guru and guide you so seek whilst honing your tomahawk skills.

T.R. said...

that's why I am thinking of moving to mesa to work at this place. More guiding and guru-ing, less babysitting. No radio though. Or naturism. But those are things nobody should get paid for anyway.

Uptown Girl said...

i'm adding you to the blogroll... fyi

kel said...

i like the use of the word 'nerds' in this post.

Creativity Escapes Me said...

GPS acurate within how many feet?