Thursday, January 31, 2008

Do unto others

Unless you live outside of Utah, or in one of Utah's many unmapped caves, You know that Gordon B. Hinckley, president of the LDS church, just died. I went to his viewing today on the top floor of the conference center where a simple casket sat with a few funeral sprays and about four large men in suits (some with a bulge in the jacket) standing solemnly.

Afterwards three males of about 20 years of age walked down Main Street on the Eastern edge of the conference center plaza, where they shouted obscenities in the direction of the mourners.

As soon as they had crossed North Temple to Temple Square, one of them handed some money to a beggar.

I would never have shouted those things at anyone. Not at Catholics going to see a pope's body, not at an American Atheists meeting, and not even at people filing into an Amway convention.

But I can't remember the last time I gave money to a beggar either.

8 comments:

The Mediocre Gatsby said...

What a bunch of (charitable) bastards!

Loki said...

I not exactly sure what I think...Who taunts and attacks at a funeral? How unfortunate for them.

I guess it is amazing how strongly all of us think that we are in the right. And yet we choose to deny the ways in which we are in the wrong.

Anonymous said...

Who would do that at a funeral...anyone's funeral!!! What a bunch of moronic ^#&^$%*!!!
Little did those losers know that they lost money on people that won't bother to get a real job, beggars on Temple Square make more $ than a lot of lower class, as it is their "job", or they just helped get them wasted later on. (And no, I'm not prejudiced against beggars...I KNOW some of them!!!)

whattherandi said...

are you still bloggin it? well hey there. I got one too now....go figure. Thanks for coming to the wedding festivities!!

Creativity Escapes Me said...

I've had many donations to the Feed Allison Foundation. Prime contributers include Mom, Dad and people who overbuy on their lunch at work.

That's beside the point.

I've had a really bad cold for the last few days which has kept me out of the cold weather and in my apartment which has become a den of disease. I would have loved to pay my last respects to the first prophet I felt I knew. I was watching the services on KSL when I realized that the church will drive on. No matter what. We will have a new prophet and unfortunately the obscenities will continue.

Creativity Escapes Me said...

But it will march forth. It won't get easier by any means. It's how we deal with the situation.

It is all defined in one word: character.

an illdressed foolishwise said...

things that make you go hummmmm...

Ali VanLeeuwen said...

nice to have met you this weekend. i emailed grace a few pictures. maybe she can pass them on to you..