Thursday, January 10, 2008

Racebook

It's encouraging to me that Obama won the Iowa primaries, and not just because he's my favorite candidate. So encouraging, in fact, that it almost makes me forget that there are people like Matt Canry of Columbia, SC. Here's what he wrote in the discussion for the Facebook group "Anti-Obama and Damn Proud" (empahsis added):

"What are your thoughts? These are mine:
Over two hundred years ago, our European forefathers established this grand nation. Each of the USA's leaders have been of European descent, representing the majority of her citizens. Today, we have the option of choosing to elect a black man who even spent most of his childhood overseas in a non-white nation.
If we were to elect him as our representative, our worldwide identity as a primarily Caucasian nation would change. And from then on,
we would be thought of as a nation whose own citizens had devolved so much internally that none of them were fit enough to rule; "

There are so many talking points in this rock-solid argument that I hardly know where to start. Well, for one, I'm pretty sure that Obama is an American citizen. I think that is the sort of thing they might double-check on a candidate's paperwork. But Mr. Canry did his research before posting this, I'm sure, so maybe I'm mistaken. Wait, there's more!

"our image would become that of a country who had to call upon the leadership of one less legitimately American than we ourselves. Is that truly what you want? Are you willing to be ruled by an African American? Are you willing to pass over the Caucasian candidates and fatefully adopt him as your personal international symbol?"

Last time I checked, the executive branch's job is to enforce the law. But it's been a while since I checked, so maybe now the president does actually "rule" us. But good thing you referred to him as a an African American and not a black. That would have been racist! Oh and thanks for addressing that concern in your very next post:

"I'm actually not very racist, to be honest. I just[sic] a strategist who knows how to stir people up."

Well, thanks goodness for that. As long as you're only sort of racist! For a second you had us worried! And you're a brilliant strategist at that. I never thought that electing a (half) black president would tip off the rest of the world to our shameful American secret: that not every American is white!

I know what you, loyal reader, are thinking. That what some kid (geez, I think it's a kid. I really hope there aren't adults that are this misinformed) in SC has to say about politics is not worth an entire Swirly Patterns post. But remember, Swirly Patterns is here to entertain, not to offer any worthwhile perspective. I hope a glance into how this young gentleman thinks has been entertaining.

By the way, here is a link to the full discussion, but it will only work if you're signed in to facebook:

http://facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2230314991&topic=4336

P.S.
Guess what else Matt? Obama rhymes with Osama! Holy Shit!

7 comments:

cate said...

Those damn facebook fascists.

Matt said...

And his middle name is Hussein! That about seals the deal. This country's headed to hell in a handbasket.

allyson elizabeth said...

It's a good thing he's not very racist, I guess my feelings towards him aren't very hateful.

Creativity Escapes Me said...

Where to start? Oh, I don't know, this guy's an idiot.

The Mediocre Gatsby said...

Douche bag.

The Mediocre Gatsby said...

Ok, maybe I should clarify. I mean that guy on facebook is the douchebag. Not TR or anyone who posted here.

You are all good people.

But that guy? What a piece of garbage.

Loki said...

It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant, and yet how outspoken some people (like this facebook person) can be.