Friday, April 25, 2008

Mission to Moab


So we all had a good laugh at those photos, right? The book I was reading was called The Sands of Mars, and the reason you have never heard of it is because it's not very good. Go Read The City and the Stars instead.
But when you're on vacation it's nice to read a book about the place you're visiting. My own examples:

The Pearl (Steinbeck) while in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Kidnapped (Stevenson) while in North Queensferry, Scotland
The DaVinci Code (Brown) while in Paris
Angels and Demons (Brown) while in Rome
Skinwalkers (Hillerman) while in Bluff, Utah

Anyway, there's not a lot of books that take place in Moab and it's hard enough to get through Desert Solitaire when it's assigned for school, so I thought I would give Abbey a rest and read something interesting. The Sands of Mars seemed appropriate, and if you've been to Moab you know why. What I need from you, dear reader, is your favorite books that take place on Mars so that I can read those next time I go to Moab, whenever that is. I mean, this one didn't even have any hot Martian babes!

5 comments:

Tracy said...

This one features Mars.

T.R. said...

wow. good luck beating that one, everyone else.

Creativity Escapes Me said...

But while in Rome, do as the Romans do.

eped said...

sorry, these aren't about Mars, but I like this exercise.

the Log from the Sea of Cortez(also Steinbeck) while in Baja Norte.
Complete Poems of (Ramon Lopez Velarde) while in Zacatecas, central Mex.
The Backslider(Levi Peterson) while in, um, Ephraim, UT.
all the billboards off the highway driving through UT county every time.
and Freakonomics, while on the toilet.

natalie said...

haha I'll keep my eyes open for any Mars related book. I like your idea about reading books that are set in the place you are visiting.