Tuesday, May 27, 2008

No One Cares What I Had for Lunch

Ok, I know that with the publishing of this entry I join the throngs of mundane internet blogs that complain about their iPods. But I am going somewhere with this, so stay with me. This is important stuff.

My relationship with this trendy device has been rocky after what I thought was a great start (I bought mine, one of the new shuffles, for like $20 from a friend who was moving and trying to reduce clutter. The thing is the size of a book of matches.) First it had her music on it, which was fun for a little while (like an hour). But then it wouldn't take my music. Then when it did, it wouldn't play. Then after getting it fixed it I forgot to bring the adapter with me to Alaska.

I got an adapter today. Then I couldn't find the iPod for a while. Now that I've found it, it won't take my music again.

Pause.


The Senoi People of Malaysia are reported by some researchers to advocate lucid dreaming. But more specifically, they say you should do certain things in certain situations. For example, if you are being chased by a monster, you should confront the monster and either kill the thing, make friends with it, or ask it for a gift (any of these are equally acceptable).

Likewise, if there is something in a dream that you want to do, you should make sure that it happens rather than letting yourself wake up before you get to.

If you find some treasure in the dream, you are supposed to hold onto it until the end and, according to one practitioner of dreamwork research, you should bribe the gatekeeper that guards the barrier between the sleeping world and waking world so that he will let you bring the treasure across that threshold into your everyday life.

And if your dream has a sexual theme, well, you are supposed to see that through too.

Some of my attempts at lucid dreaming have resulted in terrifying hallucinations, as a side note.

So back to the iPod. The whole iPod experience, to me, feels like having treasure in a dream snatched away from me over and over. Very frustrating. For this reason, I think that it is vastly important to my future and mental health that I find the iPod and integrate it into my life in a satisfying, dependable way.

See?