Thursday, October 30, 2008

He was Behind the Couch the Whole Time

I went to Catholic school for kindergarten, first grade, and second grade. Mrs. Groth was our music teacher, and I played recorder in her class and learned to sing. I mostly have good memories of her.

Only one memory stands out as a bad one. Around Halloween, she thought it would be a good idea to teach us this song:

Have you seen the ghost of John?
Long white bones with the skin all gone...
Oooo. Ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo
Wouldn't it be chilly with no skin on?

It was scary. I was afraid of skeletons and that tune (which was actually very catchy) would get caught in my head. I would expect to see a skeleton around every corner. Watching Jason and the Argonauts didn't help much either.



I think I went as a skeleton that year.

This is the best version of the song that I could find.

6 comments:

eped said...

Mrs. Groth. I have good memories too. hot crossed buns

and that's a great assyrian beard!

linny said...

I think I watched "Jason and the Argonauts" at the drive-in as a kid. I was wearing my PJ's which made it even more frightening.

judy said...

I remember singing that song in elementary too!

becky said...

eeks that is a creepy song for a kid. i never learned it. probably why i still have a healthy love for skeletons.

becky said...

also, jason and the argonauts kind of looks like it was filmed on the other side of utah lake

natalie said...

Definitely a creepy song. That was an awesome clip.